Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm going to try really hard!

I heard words today that I never thought to hear from my boy. "I don't know if I can, but I'm going to try really hard." in an earnest, upbeat voice. I was so happy.

Today, I went out to lunch and left him home with 7 school tasks. I have never left him home alone for so long, but he did very well. He didn't complete them all, but he was cheerfully working when I left and when I got home. His honesty about how long he played for "recess" and his willingness to get back to work are things I thought impossible a couple of years ago.

I also love to hear him share what he learns with me. I get snippets from his science book and the translation of this Latin sentence as he works. A joy for learning is growing in this home. This joy had completely disappeared and I wondered if it was ever going to come back. It is back. He still prefers play or watching TV, but it is no longer the only fun thing to do. Today, while he is supposed to be doing math he asked me how a clicky pen works. That cannot replace math class, but it can be investigated before turning on TV or computer! So, the boy will be taking a pen apart after school is officially done and explaining to one of his parents how the clicky pen works. His new enjoyment of learning means that this is not punishment--it would have been perceived as punishment a year ago.

God bless all who read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home