Thursday, December 15, 2005

For Narnia and for Aslan!!

Wow, it is a great movie. I found my eyes wet on several scenes (starting with Mom saying good by to her children). What a great word picture of salvation!! Go--see it--you'll be glad. It all seems so real from talking beavers to Aslan!!

Sam is enjoying his new game "World of Warcraft." The time we are taking a long break from school was a good time to purchase it. Tonight we officially finished our final school task. So he can play from rising until I pull him away to eat breakfast a do a chore or two.

Tomorrow we are going to the Library. I'm going to try to find "Time Cat" and "Toliver's Secret." The first book is one I saw at Barnes and Noble today and it looked like a book Sam would enjoy. A cat that can travel in time, takes a boy with him and travels to many historically significant times and places (sounds like unschooling to me). The second is recommended by another SonLight mom and occurs during the history we are studying.

I have a new homeschool tool. It is something rescued from the "thrift store bag." I almost donated it on several occasions, but kept thinking I might find a use for it someday. And, it doesn't take up much space anyway. It is a "blotter" with large calendar pages (where you fill in dates--therefore timeless). I was finding that I never was writing down all the "extras" that we were doing that could count as school. It now sits on the coffee table and any time I notice or think of something educational we've done, I can jot it down quickly.

An example would be going to see this movie--every Christian school I know of has gone or will go as a field trip. Spotting and identifying a bird at our back yard feeder is another thing written down. Writing down the recipe for pancakes as he and dad are making them on Saturday is another. He did this because "then I can make them for Mom and she never gets pancakes." What he doesn't know is that, given a choice between sleeping in or eating pancakes--sleep wins hands down every time!!

Aah, the flexibility of homeschooling. Of course once the newness of this game wears off, we will be having pancakes a la Sam sometime during the week--I can't wait as long as we have them for lunch instead of breakfast :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home