Sunday, October 30, 2005

Interesing things are attracted to me.

I don't seem to be having as many "ordinary" days as I used to. Home schooling is becoming "ordinary." What is not ordinary is: having a house wren in my house and doing an unplanned header at Sabrina's soccer game!!

So, I'm deviating from the title of this blog, but thought you'd all be interested in my un-ordinary week.

Wednesday, I was sitting at my computer after my students left (that makes it around 4-5 in the afternoon). I thought Sam was outside or at the neighbor's house. I kept hearing the sound of our metal mini-blinds being moved. There was no other sound. My first thought was that Sam was watching our backyard feeder through the blinds on the backdoor. But he was so quiet for so long. Finally I decided to quietly investigate what was really going on.

Sam was not in the house--a calm little house wren (or maybe a carolina wren) was flying to the window trying to get out. When that didn't work, she'd fly to the large mirror, then she would rest on the ceiling fan blades. Over and over again. My presence didn't make her panic, so I slowly opened the front and back doors. She didn't move, so I called the neighbors and asked Sam to come home and help me.

Now I couldn't find her--had she left while I wasn't looking? No, she was in the kitchen perched on the window valance. I discovered the door to the garage ajar--that must be how she got in. I opened it all the way. Then I got behind her and she would (calmly--no crashing panic) fly away from me until she finally discovered the open door to the back yard.

What an amazing thing. I shut all the doors just as Sam showed up. I wished he could have seen her, it was something else!!

So, fast forward to Saturday night. Sabrina's Shanendoah University team is playing Christopher Newport University (CNU). That school is basically just across the busy road from our house. I found a sub for all my Saturday night church committments and Sam and I went to the game. It was freezing and the CNU team (full of seniors) beat SU (only 2 seniors) by 8-0. After the game, we went to see Sabrina. As we were leaving the field the men's CNU team was getting ready to play a game. As we were almost off the field, a wild ball bounced off my head (right behind my right ear). I never saw it coming. I felt and heard it, realized I wasn't vertical anymore, realized I was laying on the ground and bunches of people were "Are you all right?"ing at me. I was dazed. I kept wondering how this was going to affect my tendancy to have headaches. I started tearing up (which made me feel like a fool). Some guy was holding my hand and helping me walk (which made me feel about 80 years old--especially with the tears). Finally I felt in control enough to tell him I was fine.

Sabrina walked us to our car, we hugged, and Sam and I drove home. My head felt a little strange, but no danger of concussion. But this morning I discovered that something is bruised on my back side. It is rather uncomfortable to bend over, or rise up from or get down to a sitting position. Once I'm seated, if my weight is mostly on the right it isn't too bad. Hopefully by Thanksgiving I'll be okay.

So, my un-ordinary week had its ups and downs, but at least it wasn't boring!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home