Monday, October 10, 2005

Character Development

To develop character takes time. Time that isn't devoted to rushing around, doing homework or getting ready for bed. We didn't have that kind of time with Sam in school. His homework took up most of his free time and then he'd want to play with his neighborhood friends, or we'd be off to martial arts class or homegroup or.... you get the picture.

Sam needs a little help in developing this character. With him and I being together all day long, I am more aware of which behaviors are a problem and which are just being a kid. So, on Friday he spent about an hour sitting in his room because he could not give me "30 seconds of adult behavior." What I was getting instead was crawling or laying on the floor, nonsense noises (often in a high pitched voice) or at best, turning away from me and saying things with the wrong tone of voice). Now, when I asked for "mature behavior" he knows he can do it--at least for a short period of time.

We got tested for martial arts this weekend (yes, Dwight and I are green belts now--watch out!) and Sam passed without probation for the first time. Always before his behavior (read as bad attitude) kept him from passing that day. We began with prayer--just Sam and I, for God to give us the ability to honor him whether we passed or not. God does care about this stuff.

I am more excited about this than his leaps of comprehension in math or science or any other academic subject. With his gifts he can learn what he needs when he needs it, but character is the most difficult thing to learn. Thanfully, God is giving me both insight into Sam and the ability to see his progress--even the baby steps. We are celebrating them!!

My friend Jude has asked for computer lessons again. Her tenacity is a great example to follow. She is not willing to quit or give up--and so is learning how to do things that I am not even teaching her. In many ways it seems the easiest money I've ever earned and is certainly some of the most pleasant. It feels like a social get-together as much as a teaching/learning session.

Tonight Sam and Dwight are getting out the microscope to see if there are any germy things in the water in our birdbath. I hope they find something.

Oh, and creative writing may not come to Sam very often, but he spontaneously composed the following poem:

Chickadee
By Sam Kinter

Chickadee, chickadee
can fly so high above thee.
I love the spontenaity of it and am encouraging him to refine or add to it. I am not obsessing about creative writing any more, how much does a techno kid need to do? He is spontaneously inventing all kinds of things that he tells me about--just not composing essays or other written work. I think it will come later on its own--or I can add it when he matures to prepare him for the SAT which now has an essay section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home