Saturday, January 21, 2006

Understanding People

As Sam's mom and his teacher, I spend a lot of time thinking about how he learns and thinks. No matter how much one person can understand about another--it is still not much. We hold so much back from one another and I'm not sure it is a bad thing at all.

I makes being a child's teacher and parent a constant wrestling with "is this best for him?" and "how do I best respond to this behavior?" But then, so much of life is wrestling with ideas. God seems to have planned it that way. The Bible teaches that man has free will and that God calls and chooses his people before the creation of the world. These things seem to contradict one another. If we begin with the belief that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, we must wrestle with these apparant contradictions.

Then, I think about what I have learned about how the brain learns and develops and I think this wrestling and wondering is very stimulating and good for brain development. If we never stop this activity, our brains are constantly thinking of new things and we could be delaying the onset of alzheimers (sp?).

So, God doesn't answer all our questions because we'd have lazy, useless brains for doing the work he's called us to do. He didn't create robots.

So, how do I incorporate this into school? Try not to create a robot (there is only one way to do things). While encouraging curiosity and preparing my grammar kid for the rhetoric stage (which he is likely entering soon).

Happy wrestling

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home