Friday, June 23, 2006

Rescuers of the East Coast

Hey, did you know we are now entitled to be in a sequel to Rescuer? I don't know if Disney will pick up the option, but we definitely qualify.

The adventure began when Eric came and mentioned seeing a small kitten at the side of the street on Wednesday evening. Sam and I ran down and discovered 2 very small kittens. I'd guess they were about 4-5 weeks old. They were also probably ferral since we couldn't get near them. They jumped down a storm drain and I came home for the cat carrier and some tuna.

I made a trail of tuna from the drain to the inside of the carrier, but kitten #1 (we'll call her Lonely) didn't act hungry. I tried mewing--it made her more skittish, so I purred. She perked up and starting moving toward me (I was behind the carrier). As I kept purring, she came and was looking for her mother. She ended up walking right into the box and I shut the door.

Now it was kitten #2's turn. We'll call him Cautious. Purring had no affect on him--he knew it wasn't mom (or saw the results of Lonely's search for mom). But luckily Cautious was hungry. He followed the trail up near the carrier, but wouldn't go in. Being a very young kitten, he ended up with his back to me and I was able to grab him and push him into the carrier before he even got a scratch in.

The next day, we took them to the animal shelter. They are so young, they are sure to be adopted. If it weren't for Dwight, we would have kept them and tried to tame them. It made me think of Sass and Frass who never tamed, but these little guys were much smaller and I think at least Lonely will warm to humans eventually.

Now what subject was that adventure? I think it was Civics. We protected the kittens from death by car, starvation, or predator. We protected our neighborhood from cats who could contract rabies or other diseases. Sam learned how to think through the rescue of an animal. And we had lots of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home