Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Get to know someone

How can you really learn to know someone? The only way is to spend time with them. This applies to all relationships, especially our relationship with God. It definitely also applies to our kids.

How much time did I spend with Sam before home schooling? Maybe 30 minutes in the morning rushing him off to school--definitely NOT quality time. After school, I usually worked with other students until 5 pm. Sam was too young to do his homework during that time--too many temptations. Once I was done with my students, then I had to isolate Sam in order for him to get his homework done. If we were together we couldn't just talk--he had too much homework.

On the weekends, yeah, that was about it. I bet we spent around less than half a day per week of quality just chatting about whatever time together. Did I know Sam? I thought I did. I knew him better than the other people around, but...

Compared to now--it was nothing. Now, Sam and I spend our whole day together. I have only a few students this summer--no more than 6 hours per week is spent with them. Now, when Sam starts acting goofy, I see beneath it to the struggle underneath. He's such a sensitive kid and now I see his goof is a shield--it protects him.

Tonight at martial arts Sam needed his signal, but didn't remember to use it--I showed it to him and he got his "regrouping and come to grips" time. What hurts is that I was the cause of him needing that time, but at least this time I recongnized it much sooner than last time. How many times have I been a party to his hurts?

Why did God give children to imperfect parents? Our weaknesses are opportunities for God to show his strength! Am I spending enough quality time with God to recognize and know him and his influence? My prayer is for this time with God to grow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home