Saturday, August 27, 2005

A work in progress

Perfect is a word that creeps into our conversation and our thinking. It can discourage and lead to depression, but we cannot dismiss it completely since Jesus said very clearly "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48. So, as someone who is not a perfectionist I began to wonder what God really expects of us in regards to perfection. I did a word study.

God is perfect and so are his works, words, law, patience, knowledge, faithfulness and will.

God is the giver of : perfect gifts, perfect health, perfect beauty (of a city).

We must offer God perfect sacrifices (Old Testament) in fact God did that for us in Christ (read Hebrews).

We are called to be perfect only that one time mentioned above. We are promised future perfection and are being made perfect at this moment (and the rest of our earthly moments). It is attainable, but future objective. We will attain this perfection through suffering. We should pray for the perfecting of other believers.

Love is the perfect bond of unity and perfect love cases out fear.

So, my conclusion: When I condemn myself as less than perfect, I am telling God that the sacrifice of Christ was not enough--or at the very least that His work of perfecting me is too slow (what I lack is patience).

When I accept myself as a work in progress, I am allowing God's strength to be manifest in my weakness and letting him choose the timing of my perfecting. It also frees me to celebrate the victories in the process rather than focus on the setbacks and failures.

God calls us to work for Him--that work can be anything, when we do this with all our strength we are still going to fail and fall on our faces--it is this falling that God uses to grow us closer and closer to the perfect person he created us to be. Since we grow through our failures, all the credit goes to God where it belongs.

So, what does this have to do with homeschooling? A lot, actually. Sam is a bit of a perfectionist. He'd rather not attempt something than fail at it. My job as his teacher is to help him learn to be willing to fail, over and over again. And to rejoice in his successes as well as learn from each failure.

May God grant you many learning opportunities this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home