Sunday, August 28, 2005

Tomorrow is the Big Day

Here I am on the eve of the Big Day. Tomorrow we start homeschool in earnest. Our first day of "real" homeschool. Last year we unschooled and deprogrammed Sam for his negative thinking about learning he had obtained from the classroom setting. Over the summer we did "school lite" to keep from needing review this fall (and to be able to take occasional days off without any stress).

What will it be like? Have I prepared enough? Sam is excited--will he be able to maintain that all day? Will I be able to keep from nagging if he is slow or easily distracted? There are so many questions and I bet the preparation helps as much as it does when you become a first time parent. Yeah, it's necessary--you need a crib and carseat, etc--we needed books and materials, but nothing prepares new parents for how it feels to be solely responsible for this screaming baby. Can anything prepare me for being solely responsible for all of Sam's education?

But just as a new parent learns that mistakes aren't fatal, so I will learn that our mistakes will be tools for improving our educational system--not a sign of failure.

So, if I have any energy tomorrow night, I will let you know how it went.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home