Thursday, February 16, 2006

Too Much Delegation

I love delegating. It means less work for me--which my lazy streak loves. It means I can benefit from talents others have that I lack. It means you get the share the joy of a task done.

Some things cannot be delagated. Some things can, but should not. Education of my son is something I delegated for about 5 years. I paid dearly for others to teach my son. It seemed like the right thing to do and probably was. Since last Easter I have taken over that task myself and we have been very blessed by it (the whole family). I was still delegating parts. The computer and Rosetta Stone software is teaching him Latin. He was learning violin and is now learning art from someone else. These are all good things, since I am incapable of teaching.

I was also delegating his "religious" training. We were both doing Community Bible Study. Their studies were enjoyable for both of us. We were studying the book of John this year. Sam was not enjoying the discussion in his class. He admitted to rarely sharing answers and they did crafts (which he abhors).

I was starting to think that Sam was learning facts, but not developing a deeper relationship with the Lord. I began thinking about what my dear son is like and how he would best learn to develop this relationship. I began to feel proddings from the Lord because I doubt if any classroom setting was going to help in this way at all.

Then, as we shared the Lord's Table at church Sunday night and one man shared during confessing time that he had not been pursuing his daughter enough in this same area--I felt a stronger prodding.

Then in a discussion with our pastor it was just suddenly obvious that he will learn to relate to and love the Lord the best the way he learns everything else the best---one on one.

So, we are no longer going to Bible Study, but are doing a book (Learning About God from A to Z). This book came with out SonLight curriculum and is actually quite fun to do together. When some truth about God really touches my heart and I share that with Sam--he learns more than the facts.

So, now we are doing:

SonLight American History (approx. 5th grade level)--includes Bible and Poetry
Pre-Algebra--almost finished with the book
Easy Grammar Plus (9th grade level)
Exploring Creation through General Science (7th grade level)
Rosetta Stone Latin
Art (private lessons)
Writing Composition--The Write Stuff Adventure (loosely following)
Spelling--incorporated--learning rules he breaks as he breaks them
Typing--blog entries--usually typing his compositions
Handwriting--incorportated

I think we are covering all our bases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home